Coordinator, Tissue Distribution; Ann Arbor, Mich.
Salary Range: $21.36 – $24.00 hourly
Mission: Eversight’s mission is to restore sight and prevent blindness through the healing power of donation, transplantation and research.
Our Culture Story: Imagine you’re unable to see a loved one’s eyes as they smile. You can’t see their face as they call your name, or your own face in the mirror as you start each day. This is what life is like for millions of people coping with vision loss.
Now, imagine your eyesight is restored. You can suddenly see all the color and sights of the world around you. Your life is transformed. This is the power of eye donation, corneal transplantation and vision research. This is what Eversight team members make possible every day.
For more than 75 years, Eversight has enabled donors and their families to give the gift of sight. We ensure that their gifts transform the lives of those suffering from blindness, and advance new treatments and cures for blindness.
The role of Eversight’s Tissue Distribution Coordinator is to facilitate the placement of human eye tissue for cornea transplant surgery. This role is essential to a collaborative team environment in ensuring the successful matching and offering of eye tissue to domestic and international partners.
Fair Labor Standards Act Status: Non-Exempt
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8-hour shifts, with rotating on-call weekends and weeknight coverage.
Essential Job Functions:
- Carefully reviews preferences and suitability to successfully match and offer human eye tissue to surgeons, eye banks, internal staff, or other partners, for surgical or non-surgical use; in compliance with Eversight, EBAA Medical Standards, as well as state & federal regulations.
- Manages and tracks shipments (domestic and international) and communicates any updates in a timely fashion.
- Supports in accommodating urgent or emergency requests as they occur.
- Completes administrative assignments, including but not limited to, scheduling surgical requests, collecting recipient information, and conducting post-operative follow ups.
- Monitors tissue supply and demand and coordinates import/export opportunities to maximize tissue placement potential.
- Maintains a professional manner in all communications with surgeons and other relevant parties through email, phone, or text.
- Covers weekend, holiday, and on-call shift needs on a rotating basis.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional organizations, etc.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the Mission and Values of Eversight.
- Other Duties: New tasks, duties and responsibilities may be added at any time, with or without notice to the employee. This job description is not intended to cover or describe all of the tasks, duties and responsibilities the employee may be required to or asked to perform.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off
- 403(b) retirement plan with company match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid parental leave & more
Education: Undergraduate studies in related field preferred.
Experience: Experience in medical field preferred.
Skills: Communicate professionally and effectively via phone, email, and text. Demonstrate a sense of urgency. Critical thinking and problem solving. Ability to support in fostering a positive work environment. Customer service skills.
Knowledge: Proficiency in MS Office.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
- The Tissue Distribution coordinator position is hybrid and requires 1-2 work days in-office. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit for long periods of time. Routine use of computers, phones, and fax machines. Limited noise, room temperature fluctuation and dust are possible.
- The Tissue Distribution Department is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Though the typical workweek is Monday-Friday, this position requires flexible availability which does include on-call shifts, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Schedules are made in advance on a rotating basis.
- The work environment and physical demands characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.